Santa Croce di Naro is one of the many small hamlets making up the new municipality of Gravedona ed Uniti. Few houses, plenty of greenery and a church dedicated to the cult of the Jesus’s Holy Cross rich in artistic tributes like the apsidal and wall frescoes painted by Andrea and Sigismondo De Magistris (father and son) which date back to 1529 and traditions also involving the faithful from neighboring villages coming for example on a pilgrimage on the 3rd of May to ask for the grace of rain in time of drought.

Records say that in 1863 the procession didn’t take place on the day of the feast of the Invention of the Holy Cross because it was pouring with rain. Rock climbers of course don’t pray for water when they walk past the church to reach the walls of cliffs of Sasso Pelo (also known as Monte Sasso Pelo) overhanging the settlement of Naro. The well known and very popular rock gym is divided in sectors: “Pelo”, “Pilastri”, “Edera”, “Totem”, “Nuovo”, “Pelino” and is a popular destination for those who want to feel strong emotions and vertical boldness.

The tracks mapped in the sectors have curious names to say the least: “The mangia aria” (air eater) referring to climbers’ diet; “Femmine in gabbia” (Females in a cage); “Bubusette”; “Un po’ di bianco, un po’ di nero” (a bit of white and a bit of black) because life is neither always white nor always black; “Pidicheddu mammalu” from Sardinian and meaning: small but bad and the mischievous “Voglia di pelo” (hair lust) from the name of the mountain Sasso Pelo.


Currently there aren't testimonies.