People usually go to a library to satisfy their desire to read and look for the book of their choice. The structure and the furnishing fade into the background, but It is different in Lenno. Here in fact “the plots of the books call back very different plots”. Before being turned into a library the building had been the seat of an important spinning mill (from 1850 to 1927 when it was finally donated to the municipality).

It belonged to the brothers Ezio and Attilio Grandi who also had other two factories for the production of silk in the village. It is sometimes odd to realize how many surprises can fate reserve even to buildings; they are built for a purpose and then years later are used for completely different reasons. And yet the connection between the old factory and the current place of culture is not so odd after all; like they did in the past in these rooms they still speak about “warp”, “interweaving” , “weave”( words which in Italian both refer to books and cloth).

And History tells about stories of people like Pina “Tremezzina doc” (a woman born in the area). In the ‘20s when she was only 13 Pina walked 7/8 km to the factory where she worked and while walking or handling threads she sang and all the other workers sang along. But it wasn’t always so idyllic; for example the time when they heard the death toll and started to sing “Miserere” or another time when Carolina, a “filarina” (woman working at the spinning mill) and one of her workmate were awfully scolded by the director because they made a silk thread thicker than needed.


Currently there aren't testimonies.