From Torno graveyard you can see the lake. This heavenly view and the place itself make people feel at peace; The purpose of art was here to bring beauty where unfortunately the sadness of last farewells lurks. The graveyard (word which must be preferred to the gloomy cemetery) is just next to the Church of San Giovanni, a sort of ”memories garden” for everyone who stopped for the last time in the holy building before being buried or entombed in a burial niche (memorial garden). You can go in walking through the “Remembrance Park” built on the area of the old grave yard. It was inaugurated on 5th September 1926 and provided with 14 cypresses on which the names of Torno first world war fallen soldiers were written.

Between one cypress and the other there are also 9 nameplates for the ones who lost their lives during world war two. In the park there is also a monument to the memory of Egidio Ruspini, one of Garibaldi’s “I Mille”, a memorial stone to the “priestpoetpatriot” Tomaso Bianchi and in the centre there is the war memorial. In the same area there is also a lodge with several honorary and sepulchral epigraphs of the XVIII – XIX centuries referring to ancient families from Torno.

On one of these commemorative stones which commemorates the burial of father and son a twoverse inscription is at least eccentric: “in this grave fated death mingle the bones/both of father and son”. Protected by two silently praying angels, a broad granite flight of steps, leads to the monumental graveyard consecrated by the bishop Luigi Pagani on 1st November 1927. The planned opulence of the graveyard complex is the work of the painter and teacher at the Academy of Brera Giuseppe Mentessi. Thanks to a substantial contribution from a wealthy family from Torno it was possible to complete the realization of the graveyard which had been built on a wide ground till then used as vegetable gardens and orchards.

Going down the steps on the wall of one of the landings between a terracing and the other we can admire the “Memories corner” by the sculptor Clerici. On it we can read: “to all dead people/ on earth/ who have neither a name nor a grave/ flowers and prayers/ in the common regret/ for eternal memory”.


Currently there aren't testimonies.